Torstar Corporation is a farseeing media company with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. The Data Engineering Team currently seeks a passionate professional to join us as a Manager of Data Engineering. This individual will lead a team that thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, working with diverse data sets and technologies to deliver data-driven, innovative, and scalable solutions across the enterprise. The ideal leadership team candidate will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
Who You Are…
• A passionate and focused team leader who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems.
• Inspired to design, develop and document the data engineering roadmap, supporting enterprise-wide analytics, data visualization, machine learning and real-time next best advice applications.
• A compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long-term vision, set goals to meet them and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency.
• A team-oriented, focused leader who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems.
• Driven to build strong strategic partnerships with key data and analytics professionals as well as internal clients and stakeholders.
What You Will Bring To The Team…
• Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or equivalent work experience.
• 5+ years of experience in data engineering or data management.
• Experience in a management or team-lead capacity delivering successful data and analytics projects from end-to-end.
• Experience building and/or contributing to a data and analytics roadmap supporting a wide variety of functional systems including: data visualization, business intelligence, machine learning, marketing automation and next-best-action.
• Motivation to research next generation industry trends and help us shape the Torstar data and analytics technology roadmap.
• Experience building and optimizing technical environments in a cloud environment such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
• Experience with big data technologies/vendors such as: Cloudera, Sqoop, Kafka, Map Reduce, Hive, Impala, Spark, etc.
• Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB, Neo4J, Neptune, etc.
• Experience contributing to the solution design process for large scale analytics projects.
• Demonstrated skills aligning technology with business goals and objectives.
• A Selfless, agile, focused and collaborative style that aligns with our core cultural values.
• Experience in digital media is considered an asset.
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
• We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
• We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
• We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.