Torstar Corporation is a farseeing media company with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. The Data Engineering Team currently seeks a passionate professional to join us as a Big Data Administrator. This individual will join a team that thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, working with diverse data sets and technologies to deliver data-driven, innovative, and scalable solutions across the enterprise. The ideal candidate will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
What You Will Be Doing..
• Managing AWS components such as Cloudfront, load balancers, etc.
• Administering and monitoring all active components in our AWS environment in terms of performance, uptime, cost and permissions.
• Extensively work on the cloud infrastructure with the DevOps team and software engineers
• Focus on the build and release management and assist with the automation of the infrastructure
• Oversee configuration and management of VPCs, subnets, NAT gateways, customer gateways, Load Balancers, Firewalls, route tables, NACLs, monitoring systems, and monitoring alarms for all cloud-hosted systems
Who You Are…
• A passionate and focused professional who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems.
• Inspired to design, develop and document the data engineering roadmap, supporting enterprise-wide analytics, data visualization, machine learning and real-time next best advice applications.
• A compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long-term vision, set goals to meet them and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency.
• A team-oriented, highly technical professional who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems.
• Driven to build strong strategic partnerships with key data and analytics professionals as well as internal clients and stakeholders.
What You Will Bring To The Team…
• Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or equivalent work experience.
• 3+ years of experience in data engineering or data management.
• 2+ years of experience as a Linux systems administrator.
• Experience working with AWS tools such as EC2, S3, RDS, etc.
• Experience setting up and managing AWS permissions using IAM.
• Experience working with automation tools (e.g. Jenkins), DevOps programs, CI/CD pipelines.
• Motivation to research next generation industry trends and help us shape the Torstar data and analytics technology roadmap.
• Experience using Configuration Management tools such as: Chef, Puppet, Ansible.
• Experience working in a hybrid environment: Windows and Linux.
• Experience with big data technologies/vendors such as: Cloudera, Sqoop, Kafka, Map Reduce, Hive, Impala, Spark, etc.
• Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB, Neo4J, Neptune, etc.
• Hadoop Systems Administrator experience (Cloudera/Hortonworks/EMR) where you managed YARN resources, HDFS ACLs, and developed programs for general cluster performance monitoring/tuning is considered an asset.
• Experience in digital media is considered an asset.
• A Selfless, agile, focused and collaborative style that aligns with our core cultural values.
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
• We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
• We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
• We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.