Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media company with a long history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media. We are transforming the way we do business, and we need a Manager, Customer Experience to help support our journey. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
The Customer Experience and Engagement team is responsible for the strategy, planning, analytics, insights, and execution of all Customer Experience (CE) programs; with the goal of driving the increased customer loyalty and growth strategies for priority customer segments.
In this newly created role, you will help develop and execute on strategy which requires customer centric driven approaches founded on deep and integrated view of customer insights, a clear understanding of priority customer segment experiences and the effective ‘activation’ of these segments to both drive the desired experience and achieve our financial objectives.
The Manager, reporting to the Director of Customer Experience and Engagement, helps strategize and execute on the development and integration of customer insights, customer journey strategies, and customer change management. This role will lead and coordinates cross-functional streams of work with multiple partners (e.g. Product, Content, Sales, Customer Service, Pricing, Data, and Marketing) to ensure the customer experience is delivered in a seamless manner to our customers.
- Collaborate to develop a vision, strategy and roadmaps for the customer experience while identifying ongoing opportunities for improvement
- Develop and launch a CE measurement ecosystem and analytical strategy
- Effectively influence strategic roadmaps (product, data, marketing) as a primary customer experience advocate
- Deliver on customer experience-centric projects/initiatives as identified in Executive forums
- Create and maintain ongoing reporting for loyalty measures and insight packages
- Launch cross-organization collaboration forums to prioritize customer experience in: data requirements, reporting, analytics and operations
- Proactively provide business leaders with insights pertaining to customer experiences and execute on applicable tactical recommendations to improve CE KPIs
- Partner with product, data and other Torstar groups to develop CE program backlogs and journey maps.
- Design and implement an inner/outer feedback loop for customer experience initiatives to drive Net Promoter Score (NPS)
- Conduct analysis and identify priority customer journeys/customer segments to execute against
- Leverage knowledge of market, industry trends, customer behaviors and analytical best practices to identify strategic opportunities for the business to improve CE
- Lead and represent the Marketing team as a Customer Experience subject matter expert on all projects related to customer experience
Knowledge & Experience
- Demonstrated passion for the customer, the customer journey, and the thoughtful design of customer experiences
- Strong track record delivering results in ambiguous and challenging situations
- Strategic thinker who can develop and execute near-term and long-term strategies and roadmaps
- Broad organizational perspective with proven ability to build relationships with external partners and colleagues across different business units and groups
- Undergraduate university degree in the areas of Business, Marketing, or Engineering; MBA or other post-graduate degree; or equivalent industry related experience preferred
- Minimum 3+ years of progressive experience in Customer Experience and/or Loyalty Management
- Minimum 3+ years of progressive experience in Business or Marketing
- Minimum 1 years in a management type of role
- Human centered design and agile development experience would be considered an asset
- Understanding of analytical approaches and tools would be considered an asset
- Experience working in digital media would be considered an asset
- Experience in starting or running large Customer Experience programs would be considered an asset
- Excellent understanding of customer needs, trends and market dynamics
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with ability to frame, communicate, and influence decisions on complex problems without authority
- Excellent ability to deal with ambiguity, amongst multiple projects and competing priorities
- Excellent collaboration skills with an ability to stand behind your thinking or be flexible as required
- Strong understanding of business strategy to effectively align business objectives to CE goals
- Strong time management and project management skills
- Strong understanding of business/customer KPI’s and impact to overall business strategies including customer impact, employee and brand.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills
- Strong execution skills to ensure successful delivery/implementation of special initiatives, processes and policies.
Why is this role important?
The goal of this position is to foster and drive customer loyalty and engagement through high-quality interactions at each step of the customer journey. The role is responsible for designing and implementing customer-centric engagement strategies across our digital properties, with the goal of increasing loyalty, value and customer satisfaction. The successful candidate will be an advocate for our customers, an influencer within the business, and have the ability to coordinate large-scale initiatives with teams across the organization. You are a strategic thinker with creative problem-solving skills who is also innovative and data-driven.
The company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the company of your requirements.