Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media company with a long history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media. We are transforming the way we do business, and we need a Manager, Customer Engagement to help support our journey. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
The Customer Experience and Engagement team is responsible for the strategy, planning, analytics, insights, and execution of all Customer Engagement programs; with the goal of driving the increased customer loyalty and growth strategies for priority customer segments.
In this newly created role, you will help develop and execute on strategy which requires customer centric driven approaches founded on deep and integrated view of customer insights, a clear understanding of priority segment customer experience and the effective ‘activation’ of these segments to both drive the desired experience and achieve our financial objectives.
The Manager, reporting to the Director, Customer Experience and Engagement, is responsible for leading the development and execution of a best-in-class customer engagement strategy. Given the rapid pace of change in customer expectations, this individual will also be responsible for developing engagement best practices and building out our Next Best Action strategy to increase engagement across our customer base. With broad responsibility over strategy, planning, analytics, insights, and execution of all customer engagement related programs, the goal is to be a customer advocate and drive increased customer loyalty. You will work closely with multiple partners (e.g. Product, Content, Pricing, Data, and Marketing) to ensure the engagement tactics are presented in a seamless manner to our customers.
- Lead the development and ongoing execution of a customer lifecycle management through data-driven insights and industry best practices
- Identify and lead the creation of key engagement metrics, working with analytics and the salesforce to drive results
- Identify new engagement opportunities through the creation and ongoing development of a customer and salesforce feedback framework
- Translate customer engagement strategies into actionable programs/campaigns/tactics, and work closely with partner teams to implement
- Drive customer loyalty through always-on and discrete customer engagement programs with a focus on increasing customer ARPU and loyalty
- Own and lead the creation of all business cases related to customer engagement programs/campaigns/tactics to inform appropriate prioritization against business goals
- Coordinate and track status updates across all engagement workstreams to inform business leaders across the organization
- Partner with product and other internal marketing groups to develop program backlogs and customer journey maps.
- Lead and represent the Marketing team as a Customer Engagement subject matter expert on projects related to customer engagement
Knowledge & Experience
- Demonstrated passion for the customer and ongoing engagement
- Strong track record delivering results in ambiguous and challenging situations
- Strategic thinker who can develop and execute near-term and long-term strategies and roadmaps
- Broad organizational perspective with proven ability to build relationships with external partners and colleagues across different business units and groups
- Undergraduate university degree in the areas of Business, Marketing, or Engineering; MBA or other post-graduate degree; or equivalent industry related experience preferred
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in Lifecycle Management, Loyalty Engagement and/or Customer Engagement
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience within Business/Marketing strategy or execution
- Minimum 2 years in a management type of role
- Human centered design and agile development experience would be considered an asset
- Understanding of analytical approaches and tools would be considered an asset
- Experience working in digital media would be considered an asset
- Experience in starting or running large Customer Experience programs would be considered an asset
- Excellent understanding of customer needs, trends and market dynamics
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with ability to frame, communicate, and influence decisions on complex problems without authority
- Excellent ability to deal with ambiguity amongst multiple projects and competing priorities
- Excellent collaboration skills with an ability to stand behind your thinking or be flexible as required
- Strong understanding of business strategy to effectively align business objectives to CE goals
- Strong time management and project management skills
- Strong understanding of business/customer KPI’s and impact to overall business strategies including customer impact, employee and brand.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills
- Strong execution skills to ensure successful delivery/implementation of special initiatives, processes and policies.
Why is this role important?
The goal of this position is to foster and drive customer loyalty and engagement through high-quality interactions at each step of the customer journey. The role is responsible for designing and implementing customer-centric engagement strategies across our digital properties, with the goal of increasing loyalty, value and customer satisfaction. The successful candidate will be an advocate for our customers, an influencer within the business, and have the ability to coordinate large-scale initiatives with teams across the organization. You are a strategic thinker with creative problem solving skills who is also innovative and data-driven.
- Collaborative – you are capable of listening to and understanding range of perspectives; energized by working closely with diverse teams to accomplish a common goal; comfortable with accountability, the individual would never be described as territorial.
- Focused – you are disciplined and able to place focus on priority work and not be distracted by less important challenges or opportunities; must help create an environment in which their extended team is able to place focus on the most important work.
- Agile - you must be adaptive to change and build a flexible process and mindset to enable the nimble behaviour necessary to thrive in today’s competitive environment.
- Selfless - prioritizes the needs of the customer and the business ahead of their own.
- Results Driven - takes pride in hitting targets and achieving results. You establish simple, easy to use processes that enable results rather than complex or onerous processes that may impede results.
The company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the company of your requirements.