Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
What you would do in this role:
- Work as a member of the UX and Design team, helping to define and design clear, beautiful interfaces for the web and mobile devices;
- Create intelligent, cross-platform user interfaces and design solutions
- Visualize and verbalize your creative ideas and vision, as well as rationalize solutions with the team and stakeholders
- Gather design requirements and consolidate input from multiple stakeholders in order to do solid research
- Collaborate with core team to create a better user experience
- Visually present information so it’s easy to read, understand and find.
- Constantly explore ways to create a more cohesive story and enhanced usability with simplified user experiences and systematize interactions and experiences across our products
- Maintain and drive the visual design identity through specs, style guides, libraries and processes
- Design digital product solutions that meet or exceed strategic objectives
- Create highly usable interface solutions focused on user experience
- Test concepts and iterate as findings help define deeper insights
- Balance creative requirements with client business requirements
- Provide quality assurance on creative deliverables
What you will need to be a successful candidate:
- You have a digital portfolio showcasing exceptional and impactful digital product design solutions that leverages human-centred design.
- Experience designing outstanding web-based products
- Proven ability to communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centred design process
- Able to prioritize and manage workload and meet critical project milestones and deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build good working relationships
- Knowledge and/or experience in the agile process
- Experience with responsive/adaptive design principles
- Minimum 5+ years of working experience in graphic design and using a variety of platforms such as Mac, Windows and mobile (iOS/Android)
- Strong UX knowledge and experience conducting user research, creating flows, designing wireframes and interactive prototypes using industry software (e.g. Axure, Sketch, Invision, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Expert level proficiency in Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite and Deep knowledge of design principles and methods
- Ability to work independently as well collaboratively part of a team and to multitask in a high-paced work environment.
- A passion for clean, functional, and elegant interfaces
- Curiosity and commitment to testing new ideas and innovating to drive business results
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the Company of your requirements.