Torstar is a progressive media company with a long history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media. We are transforming the way we do business, and we need a Sr. Director, Product Management to help support our journey. We are looking for someone who is interested in shaping the product strategy and the future of big media by delivering a best-in-class, dynamic end-to-end digital experience. We offer the opportunity to work with a high-performing and collaborative team on the largest media sites in Canada.
The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in the digital transformation of the company into a data-driven, customer-first news organization and will have the opportunity to redefine a suite of digital products that are visited by eight million Canadians every month. Reporting directly to the SVP, Digital Product and Product Development, the Director, Product Management will play an instrumental role in building and executing the strategic roadmaps for the company’s daily news products.
- Lead product management for all of Torstar’s daily digital news brands, which includes The Star, Hamilton Spectator, Waterloo Record and four more regional daily news brands in Ontario.
- Develop and deliver strategic product roadmaps for all daily news brands
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with supporting departments within TorStar to ensure alignment and success in all efforts. Critical partnerships will be required with: Marketing; Editorial; Sales; IT and Data.
- Oversee agile product development process with emphasis on understanding the customer; following established Design Thinking process in development of product concepts and supporting agile development process by creating clear Epics based on the roadmap and actively prioritizing user stories to ensure rapid delivery of new products and experiences for TorStar customers
- Manage a balanced scorecard of product KPIs to both inform and direct the evolving product roadmaps
- Coach, mentor and manage a small team consisting of product managers and a site optimization manager, who is responsible to testing and validating product assumptions
- Participate as a member of the Digital Product department’s senior leadership team, helping to establish Digital Product Development as a true Centre of Excellence within Torstar
- Collaborative. Individual must be a strong collaborator – capable of listening to and understanding range of perspectives; energized by working closely with diverse teams to accomplish a common goal; comfortable with accountability, the individual would never be described as territorial.
- Focused. Candidate must be disciplined and able to place focus on priority work and not be distracted by less important challenges or opportunities; must help create an environment in which their extended team is able to place focus on the most important work.
- Agile. Individual must be adaptive to change and build a flexible process and mindset to enable the nimble behaviour necessary to thrive in today’s competitive environment.
- Selfless. Individual must prioritize the needs of the customer and the business ahead of their own; a me-first attitude will not be successful
- Results Driven.
Experience and Skills:
- 7-10 years of product management in a digital environment, preferably working on B2C products with clear track record of product success
- 3-5 years of people management experience, leading other product managers and aligning them to an overall product vision
- Proven expertise in best practices of contemporary digital product management with mastery of agile development process and design thinking best practices.
- Proven ability to build products that engage customers and deliver quantifiable business value; comfortable at all stages of product development from strategic direction, to UX and Design through to Development. Success with desktop, mobile and native apps.
- Proven ability to make data-driven decisions and to manage and monitor product KPIs in a rigorous manner
- Experience with management tools such as Jira and Roadmunk (or other roadmapping technology) and comfort with Slack, InVision, Confluence and other tools to create high-functioning product development teams
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.