Work with us
TheStar.com serves millions of readers per month across multiple channels. To grow and evolve the team, we’re looking for creative and hardworking leaders with a passion for problem solving in the challenging space of modern news media.
Work in a modern process
Our development team is full of smart people with oodles of experience building cool things.
Many of us came to The Star from the start-up world, and we’ve brought that start-up mentality and culture right along with us. We have a lot of cool stuff to build.
Work in a world class organization
We're looking for people who are interested in shaping the future of big media. We offer the opportunity to work with some of the finest development minds on the largest media sites in Canada, backed by a company that has been delivering content to its readers for more than a century.
What you’ll do
- Write code
- Write tests
- Build products
- Lead team on technical journey
- Ensure the overall health of all applications
- Enrich team’s abilities and execution
- Set and maintain good code practices
- Guide team implementations
- Overall system and process health
- Define tech culture
- Drive and organize initiatives.
We’re looking for people with
- Web development focus with full stack experience, ideally with React
- Minimum 4 years experience developing production-ready code
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Strong understanding of Web with a core strength in React and Redux.
- Proficiency with developer tools and debugging techniques
- Ability to assess risks, scope, and obstacles as they relate to front-end development
- Ability to explain functionality and decision-making behind an application that you've worked on.
- Master of Git.
- Strong ability to utilize and execute on continuous deployment and integration.
- Testing experience preferred.
- Experience with JIRA or similar project management tracking software.
More about you
- Can write complex scripts and applications.
- Defines testing, automation and deployment strategies across
- Deep understanding of an entire application lifecycle.
- Deep understanding of databases and application services (queues, caching, etc.)
- Deep understanding and is able to execute on networking, security and scale.
- Organizes the team for success on all applications
- Defines quality and efficiency.
- Delivers features with quality and efficiency.
- Defines technical direction.
- A definer and champion of process.
- Able to plan, create, and communicate complex systems.
- Finds right technologies and is able to execute them
- Competitive pay
- Yearly Bonus
- Great benefits
- RRSP matching
- On-site gym & shower
- On-site bike parking
- Waterfront location
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.