Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media organization listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TS.B) with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven . You’ll be a champion of those priorities while you leverage Torstar’s wealth of data to drive revenues for a company that is poised and positioned to lead in all of its media ventures.
In this newly created role, the Email Marketing Developer will report to the Manager, Newsletter. As the EMD, you will work with cross-functional teams to develop and automate email marketing within tight timelines. This is a development role with heavy reliance on email systems and testing, as well as marketing knowledge. The EMD is also responsible for being a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on email marketing best practices and with proven project management skills in a fast-paced environment.
What You Will Do…
- Build and monitor automation software to manage, lists and templates, and deployments
- Develop emails to meet channel best practices for viewing across multiple platforms and devices
- Administer, configure and troubleshoot mailing lists within WhatCounts Broadcaster
- Manage data integration, hygiene, segmentation, list appending and list management
- Build API Data integrations between Enterprise Email Systems and multiple Enterprise Applications
- Be a SME on channel best practices including optimization tactics and be knowledgeable of CASL & CAN-SPAM regulations
- Ensure prompt, accurate and engaging communication to minimize unsubscribes
- Analyze campaign performance and suggest improvements
- Continuously monitor industry trends, technologies, and standards with respect to email development and be able to research and recommend new technologies as they emerge
Who You Are…
- 3+ years experience in software development
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience working with marketing automation platforms
- Proficient with SQL - Ability to write and dissect complex SQL Queries.
- Experience with Linux and bash scripting
- Experience Developing with Cloud-based services (AWS/Azure)
- Experience using / developing Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Functional understanding of ETL processes
- Ability to work with a team in an agile process
- Knowledge of Object-oriented Design and Design Patterns
- Experience with manipulating data files from multiple sources
- Excellent knowledge of email campaign performance metrics
- Comfortable learning new applications/tools quickly with minimal direction
- Excellent Communication. Excellent people skills especially working to align functional teams and multiple stakeholders
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly High Standards. Detail-oriented and deadline-driven
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with Flask or Laravel Frameworks
- Demonstrates experience with Enterprise Application Integration (EAI)
- Demonstrated ability to work with functional and technical teams Demonstrated ability to participate in a large teams and work closely with other individual team members
- Functional understanding of GIT version control
- Experience with CMS platforms
- Experience in unit testing, Test Driven Development (TDD) exposure is valuable.
- Expertise in Java, Hibernate, and Spring Framework
- Experience working with Tomcat, Maven, Jenkins
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.