Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media organization listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TS.B) with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. You’ll be a champion of those priorities while you leverage Torstar’s wealth of data to drive revenues for a company that is poised and positioned to lead in all of its media ventures.
What You Will Do…
- Work as a member of the UX and Design team, helping to define and design clear, beautiful interfaces for the web and mobile devices;
- Create intelligent design solutions for mobile and web
- Design cross-platform user interfaces, interactive page layouts and UI prototypes
- Visualize and verbalize your creative ideas and vision, as well as rationalize solutions with the team and clients
- Gather design requirements and consolidate input from multiple stakeholders
- Collaborate with core team to create a better user experience
- Visually present information so it’s easy to read, understand and find.
- Constantly explore ways to create a more cohesive story and enhanced usability.
- Simplify, and systematize interactions and experiences across our products
- Maintain and drive the visual design identity through specs, style guides, libraries and processes
- Design digital product solutions that meet or exceed strategic objectives
- Create highly usable interface solutions focused on user experience
- Test concepts and iterate as findings help define deeper insights
- Balance creative requirements with client business requirements
- Provide quality assurance on creative deliverables
Why You Will Be Successful:
- You have a digital portfolio showcasing exceptional and impactful digital customer experience solutions leveraging human-centered design.
- Experience designing outstanding web-based products
- Proven ability to communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centered design process
- Able to prioritize and manage workload and meet critical project milestones and deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build good working relationships
- Knowledge and/or experience in the agile process
- Experience with responsive/adaptive design principles
- Minimum 4+ years of working experience in graphic design and using a variety of platforms such as Mac, Windows and mobile (iOS/Android)
- Strong knowledge and experience designing wireframes and interactive prototypes using industry software (e.g. Axure, Sketch, Invision, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Solid knowledge around user experience methods and deliverables such as wireframes, storyboarding, user flows, analyzing user stories, accessibility basics and pattern libraries
- Expert level proficiency in Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite
- A passion for clean, functional, and elegant interfaces
- Deep knowledge of design principles and methods
- Curiosity and commitment to testing new ideas and innovating to drive business results
- Knowledge of current digital UX related standards and trends including design thinking.
- Ability to multitask in a high-paced work environment.
- Ability to work independently as well collaboratively part of a team.
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the Company of your requirements.