Dev Ops Engineer / Specialist
Work with us
TheStar.com serves millions of readers per month across multiple channels. To grow and evolve the team, we’re looking for creative and hardworking leaders with a passion for problem solving in the challenging space of modern news media.
Work in a modern process
Our dev/ops team is full of smart people with oodles of experience building cool things. We come from a diverse background with a broad range of skills that results in high uptime numbers while utilizing cutting edge tech.
Work in a world class organization
We're looking for people who are interested in shaping the future of big media. We offer the opportunity to work with some of the finest dev/ops minds on the largest media sites in Canada, backed by a company that has been delivering content to its readers for more than a century.
The job in a nutshell
- Support the dev teams that build websites and apps that reach millions of Canadians daily
- Build/Monitor/Maintain/Improve automation for deployments and environments. Write code, write tests, analyze outcomes
- Build/Use/Improve monitoring tools and techniques to understand performance from a customer perspective
- Research and test new tools/technologies – especially open-source tools.
- Use metrics/kpi’s to help determine platform health and take action.
- Continuously improve our automation – write code, write tests, analyze outcomes
- Participate in the recovery of incidents and retrospectives. Help prevent reocurrance
- Extensive knowledge of Amazon Web Services - Everything we do is AWS powered
- You’ve worked on large web sites before – you understand CDN’s, Memcached, Redis, Apache/Nginx and what breaks when sites scale.
- Experience with APM’s (NewRelic) monitoring tools like Nagios, TICK stack and ELK log stacks.
- You can write/read/understand Ruby, Python, YAML, Bash, Powershell
- Proficiency with developer tools and debugging techniques
- Strong ability to utilize and execute on continuous deployment and integration.
- You love automation and have automated infrastructure, code deployments and monitoring before. Today we use Chef and Ansible for config management.
- Master of Git and Jenkins.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes and containers.
- Primarily Linux focused, but have decent Windows server experience.
- A desire to share knowledge and collaborate within an enthusiastic technical team
- Security minded - bad security groups or ACLs bug you.
- Metric driven
Stuff that’s not on a resume:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Driven and organized self –starter, with excellent planning skills
- Constructive negotiator, pragmatic and decisive
- Thrives on being on the leading edge – not afraid to iterate and try new things
- Excels in a very collaborative, fast paced environment with highly interactive processes
- Excellent planning skills, highly organized and detailed person
- Competitive pay
- Yearly Bonus
- Great benefits
- RRSP matching
- On-site gym & shower
- On-site bike parking
- Waterfront location
The company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the company of your requirements.