Torstar Corporation is a farseeing media company with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. You will join the data and analytics team in Toronto as it charts and navigates an intended course through present and emerging possibilities. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
The Data Architect will work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, with diverse data sets, technologies and with some of the brightest minds to produce data-driven, innovative, and scalable solutions to a diverse set of challenging business issues.
Who You Are…
- Inspired to design, develop and document the logical and physical data model supporting enterprise-wide analytics, data visualization and real-time next best advice applications.
- A compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long-term vision, set goals to meet them and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency.
- A team-oriented and collaborative individual with a demonstrated aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems.
- Driven to build strong strategic partnerships with key data and analytics professionals as well as internal clients and stakeholders.
What You Will Bring To The Team…
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering or data management.
- 5+ years of experience with data governance, data stewardship, data architecture.
- Advanced level SQL and RDBMS knowledge.
- Experience designing and maintaining conceptual, logical and physical data models for relational and non-relational databases.
- Experience designing data models for consumption across a wide variety of functional systems including: data visualization, business intelligence, machine learning, marketing automation and next-best-action.
- Motivation to research next generation industry trends and help us shape the analytics technology roadmap.
- Experience with big data technologies/vendors such as: Cloudera, Sqoop, Kafka, Map Reduce, Hive, Impala, Spark, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, HBase, Neo4J, GraphDB, etc.
- Experience contributing to the solution design process for large scale analytics projects.
- Demonstrated skills aligning technology with business goas and objectives.
- A Selfless, agile, focused and collaborative style that aligns with our core cultural values.
- Experience in digital media is considered an asset.
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.