Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media organization listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TS.B) with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. You will join the senior management team in Toronto as it charts and navigates an intended course through present and emerging possibilities. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative. You’ll be a champion of those priorities while you leverage Torstar’s wealth of data to drive revenues for a company that is poised and positioned to lead in all of its media ventures.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsibilities include working with business stakeholders to articulate business questions and organizational needs and designing algorithmic solutions that will drive intended business output.
- The candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing predictive and descriptive models, using data gathered from online solutions and other external sources.
- Duties include exploring and characterizing data available to a business area, determining where information can be stored or what information, external to the organization, may be used in support of analysis.
- Role includes supporting the impact of data by promoting, across the enterprise, an analytics strategic direction.
- Assisting business areas in identifying and determining business direction, design, and areas of improvement, based on data findings.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Computer science, related Engineering field, Economics or any other quantitative/technical discipline
- Should have • 2-3+ years’ experience of quantitative and qualitative research, involving the manipulation of large datasets
- Must have strong programming skills Python, Hadoop MapReduce, C, C++ and statistical modeling like SAS or R.
- Should have proficiency in the use of statistical packages, quantitative analytics, forecasting, predictive analytics, text analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms applied to business
- Experience in designing and developing ETL data pipelines on HadoopCommand of Scala (or Java and a desire to learnScala)
- Ability to track down root causes and fix them in systematic ways
- Analytical strategic thinking with strong problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Data Structures and Data Processing Algorithms and Frameworks
- Knowledge of the Hadoop ecosystem and Hadoop Commons
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.