Reporter/Photographer – CURRENT & FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES
Connect with us as we endeavor to proactively build a talent community of engaged candidates for Current & Future opportunities
Our Metro Edmonton team is proactively interested in connecting with seasoned, energetic and highly inquisitive journalism professionals who strive to share their unique voice. Are you passionate about creating and publishing meaningful written pieces?
Reporting to the Managing Editor, you are a detail oriented & thorough RESEARCHER, an inquisitive & curious INTERVIEWER combined with impeccable writing skills. You have a “keen visual eye” for taking exceptional photography and producing compelling video pieces. You’re a skillful video and photo editor, have a strong social media acumen and thrive working in a fast paced, deadline drive environment.
As A Member Of Our News Team You Will:
- Generate impactful story ideas and for covering assigned stories in a range of news styles: breaking news, features, entertainment, lifestyle, sports, etc.
- Produce amazing photography and/or video content to accompany stories that can be used as stand-alone items
- Passionate about multi-platform reporting and the value it provides to audiences
- Responsible for editing for style, substance and clarity
- Write quick web versions of breaking news stories for metronews.ca that will result in high reader engagement
- Support coverage of some early morning and evening assignments as needed
- Contribute to the planning of compelling packages that spans both print and digital mediums
Why You Will Be Successful:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of newspaper reporting experience
- A thorough understanding and passion for telling stories in multiple formats (Print & Digital)
- A breadth & depth of understanding of various areas of news and feature writing
- Newspaper photo and video experience (Asset)
- Experience editing copy for print and digital (Asset)
- Excellent communication skills (writing, interviewing, pitching)
- Well versed in CP style
- Self-confidence, assertiveness, industriousness, and ambition
- Experience using social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook
- Familiarity with web CMS’s required (basic HTML experience is an asset)
Why You Will Love Working Here:
- The opportunity to be part of a company at the cutting edge of the media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) including a minimum of 3 weeks' vacation
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
Metro is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs. If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform Metro of your requirements.