Torstar Corporation is a farseeing media company with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. You will join the senior management team in Toronto as it charts and navigates an intended course through present and emerging possibilities. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative. You’ll be a champion of those priorities while you drive revenues for a company that is poised and positioned to lead in all of its media ventures.
In this newly created role, the Director - Data Engineering will work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, with diverse data sets, technologies and with some of the brightest minds to produce data-driven, innovative, and scalable solutions to a diverse set of challenging business issues.
Who You Are…
- Someone who is inspired to create a best in class Data Engineering organization
- Lead the design and development of the organizations Data & Analytics Technology Roadmap, aligned to strategic business use cases
- A passionate leader, you will strive to build, lead and mentor a team of high performing data engineers
- You are a compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long term vision, set goals to meet them and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency
- You are a team-oriented and collaborative leader with a demonstrated aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems
- An experienced leader who will build strong relationships across the organization to deliver results and enable success for all
- Accountable for evaluating and building strong strategic partnerships with key Data & Analytics vendors
What You Will Bring To The Team…
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in computer science, engineering mathematics, economics or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of experience in data engineering, software engineering or data management
- You are an inspirational leader, coach mentor who others gravitate to. You have extensive experience leading medium to large teams, coaching managers and developing people
- 5 years of experience leading data engineering teams who treat data as a strategic asset in developing master data, data warehousing & data engineering solutions in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated skill in aligning technology with business goas & objectives
- Minimum 5 years of experience with data governance, data stewardship, architecture and privacy
- Experience designing data warehouse/data lake and ETL architectures with Hadoop ecosystem, such as Spark, Hive, Storm, Parquet, Presto, Cloudera, Sqoop, Kafka, Hbase, SQL databases, and HDFS.
- Experience with a programming languages such Scala, R, Python or Java
- Experience with Business Intelligence tools, processes and predictive analytics (Tableau, R, etc.)
- Experience with RDBMS such as SQL, Oracle and MySQL
- Experience with NoSQL, Graph and DW datastores (Cassandra,Neo4J, Redshift a plus)
- Experience handling Big Data and the best ways to process it (Hadoop/Hive, Map Reduce, etc)
- Experience with high-speed messaging frameworks and streaming (Kafka, Akka, Reactive)
- Understanding of data flows, data architecture, ETL, and processing of structured and unstructured data
- A Selfless, Agile, Focused and Collaborative style that align with our core cultural values
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.