Chief Data Officer
The Chief Data Officer is responsible for setting and executing a vision for enterprise wide governance and utilization of information as an asset. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the role will establish and maintain data governance, quality, architecture, and analytics—delivering business insights that enable Torstar to harness information to create revenue-generating opportunities.
This is a great opportunity to develop a new vision and strategy to leverage Torstar’s wealth of data across multiple business units and hundreds of brands. The CDO will be a key player and thought-leader in the transformation of Torstar using data as a strategic business asset.
The CDO will join the senior management team in Toronto as it charts and navigates an intended course through present and emerging possibilities. Torstar has recently identified four anchors that will drive the future of the business: a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative. The CDO will champion the development of an advanced data-driven competency and culture across the firm.
The incumbent will work in partnership with the CEO, CIO, EVP Digital Product Management and Development, Chief Revenue Officer, and other senior executives.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Define the data strategy and data architecture framework needed to provide a unified view of information, aligned with strategic goals and business priorities.
- Define and implement the organizational structures, operating models, standards, policies and procedures and larger needed to support the data strategy.
- Ensure privacy and security of data per regulatory and internal policy requirements.
- Establish a data quality framework necessary to enable data quality and integrity, including issue identification, remediation and tracking, ultimately ensuring trust and confidence in data across domains.
- Develop business cases and performance metrics to secure program resources and to measure business value.
- Work on large data sets of structured, semi-structured and unstructured data to discover data insights. Collaborate with business partners to deliver business value through these insights.
- Develop data analysis solutions based on predictive analytics, behavioural models and statistical analysis while driving to machine learning executions.
- Ensure stakeholder understanding, alignment and commitment to the objectives of the data management program.
- Proven track record of working with complex data, and a passion for building specific models and triggers that drive consumer driven financial results
- Proven track record in using customer and advertising data to build specific advertising products for clients that drives advertising revenue
- Demonstrated information management and quantitative skills, including working knowledge of IT infrastructure, technologies/platforms, and alignment of vendor solutions with strategic priorities.
- Demonstrated ability for strategic influencing and education of cross-functional stakeholders about the strategic value of data governance.
- 5-10 years of Data Governance or Management related experience.
- Evidence of strong leadership and communication skills at a senior executive or board level.
- Ability to build trusted relationships, credibility and influence with all levels across the enterprise.
- Strong sense of accountability for all data and data analytics even where ownership resides within business lines or functional departments.
- Deep familiarity with data management, predictive analytics, data visualization, applied statistical analysis and modelling.
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Analytics or related discipline.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree preferred but not mandatory.
- Familiarity with contemporary big data solutions and statistical analysis packages.
- Experience creating and implementing multi-year roadmaps.
- Experience in manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, multi-dimensional data from varying sources.
Torstar is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided by Torstar throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.